Bonding over Books

When looking through my bookcase I must admit I have a rather diverse collection. I know people who only read fantasy, westerns, self-help or historical romances, but I guess my tastes run the gamut of genres and styles. I have a number of non-fiction books, mostly travel, survival, nature and cultural exploration, such as Paul Theroux, Peter Canby, John Krakauer, Edward Abbey, and Aldo Leopold, to name a few, but I lean heavily toward pure fiction. I like to be entertained and I love happy endings.

 In contemplating how I arrived at my reading list I started to associate certain works with those whom I share an interest. My husband and I both read Clive Cussler and James Rollins (these are my favorite at the moment). I’ve given the Hunger Games and The Host a shot upon my niece’s recommendation; read mainstream fiction my sister passes down to me such as Nora Roberts, Sandra Brown, Linda Howard and Karen Robards; and my mom and I conquered Jan Karon’s Mitford series together. What do all these books have in common? They provide an opportunity to bond over books.  I find discussing a novel much more enjoyable than talking about the weather, jobs or arguing politics, and I can think of few better ways to bond with a teenager than over a story. But, most importantly this approach forces me to expand my horizons, discover new authors and it prevents my reading experiences from ever growing stale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

International Book Readers

Summer Lovin’ Blog Hop

Free ebook and Fascinating Author