Successful Settings

St. Peter's Square
Part of a well-crafted, believable story is the author’s ability to create a sense of place so strong the reader feels they are there or is left with an overwhelming desire to explore even if the setting is fictional. No one does this more successfully than Dan Brown. On a recent visit to Rome I timed reading Angels and Demons to correspond with my sight-seeing. The book made my visit more exciting and gazing directly at the monuments described in the novel added a tangible dimension to the story. I always strive to create settings in my stories that take the reader on a journey of discovery and I gauge the success of a story by how deeply I can immerse the reader in an interesting culture or place. I hope Deadly Ruins has encouraged readers to explore Cobá on Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula. And, while there I hope they follow the heroine’s path through the ruins to find the spot where she venture’s further into the unknown and take a moment to ponder what lay beyond.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

International Book Readers

Summer Lovin’ Blog Hop

Free ebook and Fascinating Author